Architectural Building Permits- You Need One

If you are in the construction business, or planning to be, one of the first considerations that you will have to undertake is getting the building and other legal approval for your project. This will help ensure that you do not get into any construction disputes or receive fines for not having the right to build. When it comes to this part of the construction process, many people often think that they can simply submit their plans to the local council and wait for the approval to come in on their own. The truth is that this is usually not enough time or consideration given by planners or architects before the planning permission must be in hand. This article looks at how things should be done when planning an architectural project.

Submit Plans

Firstly, you must ensure that your plans are submitted before any planning permission is sent out to the architect. If a builder submits their plans after this point, the council will never have seen them so they may take some time to decide on whether you can go ahead with the design and proceed with the building. One way to make sure that your architect receives the all-important written consent is to work with an architectural firm that handles the permitting for you, like The Miami Architect. In the worst case scenario though, it is best just to pay for the work up front, as this will speed up the process and allow the architect to focus entirely on the space planning and schematic design permission.


Once the planning permission has been received, you then need to submit your documents to the local council at least six months before the work begins. This is because the architect will not be allowed to carry out any work on the site until all the necessary planning permissions are in place. These documents include a building permit, which is required for any building which will be sitting on a public right of way. If you are planning on doing any alterations to the concept design of the building, such as installing stairs, then you will also need this permit.

Exterior Changes

If the work consists of any exterior work, such as installing a roof, then this too needs to be done in writing. Your architect should provide you with as much detail as possible, including any designs and colors used. Photographs are also essential, as they will give the council far more insight into the scale and style of the proposed structure. If the architect does not include any photos with his application, it is essential that you contact him and ask to have them sent. Only include any photographs which have been provided by the architect.

Submission for Permit

Once the application has been submitted, it is important to wait for two months before the permit actually comes through. This is because the new Building Control Act of 1989 came into force which states that an architect must wait two months from the application being made before he is able to apply for his new building permit. Although waiting this long may seem like a hassle, it is in fact one of the easiest ways of ensuring that you get your permit.

Permit Expeditor

In order to speed up the process and make sure that you get your permit quickly, your best option is to employ a permit expeditor or architecture company who works with one, like us. An architect will be able to submit your application to the relevant authority without having to worry about submitting it yourself. They will also be able to draw up the required documentation and prepare everything for submission on time. Having an expert help in submitting your permit and completing your structural design and development of ideas will ensure that your paperwork is completed in a shorter period of time. You should therefore make sure that you find an experienced architect to help you.

Approved! Now What?

Before using an architect to help you with your architectural building permit application you should first ensure that you have an understanding of the planning and building laws of your country. In the UK, an architect must be licensed by the Royal Institute of Architects (RIAA). In the USA, all members of the American Society of Architectural Designers (ASAD) must hold a license from the U.S. Department of Commerce. This information can usually be found on the government’s website. If you are unsure whether your jurisdiction requires architects to be licensed, then you should contact your local planning office to find out.